Place:Longwitton, Northumberland, England

Alt namesLong Wittonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.192361°N 1.879547°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoHartburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Netherwitton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longwitton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LONGWITTON, a township in Hartburn parish, Northumberland; near the river Wansbeck, 8 miles W by N of Morpeth. Acres: 2,247. Population: 152. Houses: 23. Longwitton Hall belonged to the Swinburnes, the Trevelyans, and others; and passed to the Fenwicks. Mineral springs are at Thurston."

Longwitton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished and absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Netherwitton.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.