|Type||Village, Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Northamptonshire, England ( - 1965)|
|Also located in||Soke of Peterborough, England (1889 - 1965)|
|Huntingdon and Peterborough, England (1965 - 1974)|
|Cambridgeshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Peterborough Without, Northamptonshire, England||parish of which it was part until 1908|
|Peterborough Rural, Soke of Peterborough, England||rural district in which it was located 1808-1929|
|Peterborough, Northamptonshire, England||city into which it was absorbed in 1929|
|Peterborough District, Cambridgeshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority of which it has been part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
Longthorpe was originally a village in the ecclesiastical and civil parish of Peterborough Without. In 1908 it was made into a separate civil parish within Peterborough Rural District. In 1929 it was absorbed by the City of Peterborough.
It is now in the Peterborough administrative district of Cambridgeshire. Located two miles (3 km) west from the city centre, the area covers 1,390 acres (563 hectares).
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
A 1st century Roman fort was established at Longthorpe, it may have been as early as around AD 44–48 but was certainly present by 61–62. The first phase covered 27 acres (11 ha), this was later replaced by another fort measuring 11 acres (4.5 ha).
The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1850 from the parish of Saint John the Baptist. The Church of Saint Botolph is a plain building of coarse rubble, dating from the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western bell cote, containing one bell. In the chancel is a piscina and aumbry, two other brackets and a piscina are in the south aisle and two brackets in the north aisle. The church was restored in 1869 and will seat about 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1837; the earlier register is included in that of St. John the Baptist, Peterborough.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Longthorpe, Peterborough.
- If you are researching anyone whose lifetime preceded (or even mostly preceded) 1889 the places in which he or she lived are going to be in Northamptonshire rather than the Soke of Peterborough. The Soke of Peterborough was actually a section of Northamptonshire.
- Original historical documents relating to the Soke of Peterborough are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Peterborough.
- GENUKI does not provide webpages for the Soke of Peterborough and its provision for Northamptonshire is very limited.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages on Northamptonshire (including the Soke of Peterborough).
- A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from 1889 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
- Map of Northamptonshire in 1900 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time shows the Soke of Peterborough (not labelled as such) in the top right hand corner.
- Map of Northamptonshire divisions (including the Soke of Peterborough) in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time