- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longney from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LONGNEY, a village and a parish in Wheatenhurst [registration] district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, 1 mile W of the Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal, 3½ WNW of Haresfield [railway] station, and 6 S W by S of Gloucester; and has a postal pillar-box under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,070 acres. Real property: £3,814; of which £16 are in fisheries. Population: 486. Houses: 113. The property is much subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Trustees of Smith's charity. Orchards here are famous for the dongney russet apple. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £110. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, in good condition; comprises nave and two chancels, with a tower; and has an ancient font. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £30."
Since 1974 Longney has been part of Longney and Epney, a civil parish with Epney, its neighbour to the south.
Wheatenhurst (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Longney, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Longney, Gloucestershire, England | Whitstone (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Wheatenhurst Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England