Place:Longhoughton, Northumberland, England

Alt namesLong Houghtonsource: NIMA, GEOnet Names Server (1996-1998)
Boulmer and Seaton Housesource: settlement in parish
Littlehoughtonsource: settlement in parish
Little Houghtonsource: spelling variation of Littlehoughton
TypeChapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.433°N 1.6°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoLesbury, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was chapelry
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was part located
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Howick, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Alnwick District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Longhoughton is a small rural village and civil parish in Northumberland, England. It lies near the coast, about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) northeast of Alnwick.

Prior to becoming an ancient parish, it was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Lesbury. Longhougton contained the smaller settlements of Boulmer and Seaton House and Littlehoughton (both redirected here). It became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the neighbouring parish of Howick. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Longhougton became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longhougton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HOUGHTON (LONG), a township and a parish in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township lies on the Northeastern railway and on the coast, 4 miles ENE of Alnwick; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bilton, Northumberland. Acres: 2,847; of which 222 are water. Pop.: 491. Houses: 104.
"The parish contains also the township of Little Houghton and that of Boulmer and Seaton-House. Acres: 4,113. Real property: £5,976. Pop.: 777. Houses: 154. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal, limestone, and lead ore are found. Boulmer bay and Ratcheugh crag are here; and the latter commands an extensive coast view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £162. Patron: the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient but good; and has a massive tower, with walls of great thickness, and with some early Norman windows. There is a national school.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.