|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Bothal, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Oldmoor, Northumberland, England||parish absorbed into it in 1955|
|Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longhirst from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LONGHIRST, a township in Bothal parish, Northumberland; on the Northeastern railway, 2½ miles NE of Morpeth. It has a station on the railway. Acres: 1,703. Population: 253. Houses: 55. Longhirst Hall and Longhirst Grange are chief residences. There are a national school and a reading-room."
According to the Ordnance Survey map of 1900 (see below), Longhirst township was situated between the most northerly part of Ashington and Hebron and northwest of Bothal Demesne. It became a civil parish in 1866. It had a colliery.
Longhirst was a township in the ancient parish of Bothal and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the adjacent parish of Oldmoor. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Longhirst became part of the Castle Morpeth District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Longhirst, Northumberland, England | Bothal, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England | Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England