|Name||Botleys and Lyne|
|Alt names||Hardwicke||source: ancient tything in parish|
|Hardwitch||source: spelling variant|
|Lolewirth||source: ancient tything in parish|
|Lulworth||source: spelling variant|
|Rokesbury||source: ancient tything in parish|
|Ruxbury||source: spelling variant|
|Longcross||source: hamlet in parish|
|Located in||Surrey, England|
|See also||Chertsey, Surrey, England||parish in which it was originally located|
|Godley Hundred, Surrey, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Chertsey, Surrey, England||urban district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Runnymede District, Surrey, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Lyne is a semi-rural village and civil parish in the Runnymede District of Surrey. Its nearest town is Chertsey, which is centred approximately 1.6 miles (2.6 km) northeast of the village. The boundary is officially the M25 motorway.
The village was for the centuries (from at least the Norman Conquest) until the early 20th century in the parish of Chertsey. This meant it was a hamlet dominated by landholding of Chertsey Abbey throughout the Middle Ages and before; as this was one of the earliest religious communities centred on a large building in the country, founded in the mid 7th century. Accordingly, before the Conquest the hundred (county subdivision) was named Godley. In the early centuries of this period Chertsey was divided into eight tythings: two of which were Lolewirth/Lulworth or Hardwitch/Hardwicke and Rokesbury or Ruxbury in Lyne. The 16th century replacement to the great tything barn is here in the eastern part of Lyne, close to the present Chertsey proper.
In 1849 the church was built for the hamlet Lyne and Longcross in Lyne making Botleys and Lyne an ecclesiastical parish.
In 1911 its description from the Victoria County History of Surrey was:
- "Botleys and Lyne, a hamlet of Chertsey, is 2 miles south by west. The school was built in 1895. Botleys Park, the residence of Mr. Henry Gosling, Almners Barns, now called Almners...Foxhills [more considered Ottershaw today], the seat of Sir Charles Rivers Wilson, and Fan Court [in Longcross], the seat of Sir Edward D. Stern, are in this district."
As can be seen from the above excerpt, Botleys Park was the name of a manor within the parish of Lyne.
Contrastingly, A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Botleys from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BOTLEYS and LYNE, a chapelry in Chertsey parish, Surrey; near the Chertsey branch of the Southwestern railway, 2 miles SW of Chertsey. Post Town: Chertsey. Rated property: £6,211. Population: 494. Houses: 110. The property is divided among a few. Botleys Park is the seat of R. Gosling, Esq., and has richly-wooded grounds. The chapelry was constituted in 1849. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £100.* Patron: the Bishop of Winchester. The church is good."
The map of Surrey circa 1900 (when blown up) provides an good image of the parish of Chertsey and the various settlements within it. This map is from from the website, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online