- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Long Whatton is a village in the English county of Leicestershire. It is south of East Midlands Airport, off Junctions 23 and 23A of the M1 motorway, and has easy access to Loughborough via the A6 and to Shepshed, Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Kegworth. Long Whatton was a civil parish in its own right until 1974 when the North West Leicestershire District replaced the Castle Donington Rural District. Since 1974 the civil parish has also included the village of Diseworth. The population of Long Whatton as of 2011 was 1,124.
A History of Britain through Time provides the following description of Long Whatton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHATTON (Long), a parish, with a village, in Loughborough [registration] district, Leicester; 2¾ miles W by N of Hathern [railway] station, and 4½ NW of Loughborough. Post town, Loughborough. Acres: 2,050. Real property: £4,514. Population: 779. Houses: 188. The manor belongs to E. F. Dawson, Esq. [Whatton] House is the seat of W. Martin, Esq. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £380. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored in 1866. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £5."
Categories: Leicestershire, England | Long Whatton, Leicestershire, England | West Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, England | Loughborough Rural, Leicestershire, England | Castle Donington Rural, Leicestershire, England | North West Leicestershire District, Leicestershire, England