The Town of Lodi is in the southwest part of the county and is northwest of Ithaca, New York. The town contains a village also named Lodi. Both owe their names to the Italian city of Lodi. The current Town Supervisor is Lee Davidson.
The area was occupied by members of the Seneca tribe until 1779 when the Sullivan Expedition destroyed their villages, including a Seneca orchard at Lodi Point. The town became part of the Central New York Military Tract. The first settler arrived around 1789. In 1799, in the area of Brokaw Road, a group of New Jersey Dutch farmers settled to form a Dutch Reformed community, eventually having two churches. Remnants of one of these churches is the McNeil Cemetery located in the area of Brokaw Road. The New Jersey Dutch settled into the area for several generations and eventually their churches combined with several other churches to form the United Presbyterian Church of Lodi. Descendents of these original Dutchmen reside in the town today.
In 1826, Lodi was set apart from the Town of Covert.
Lodi Point was a popular stop for lake steamboats in the 19th century.