A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Loanend from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
Loanend was a township in the ancient parish of Norham within the county of Durham until 1844 and subsequently in Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1955 Felkington was absorbed into the parish of Horncliffe.