Place:Litton, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameLitton
Alt namesLitonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 317
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates54.152°N 2.135°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoSettle Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Craven, North Yorkshire, Englandmunicipal district of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Litton is a village and civil parish in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England that lies further up Littondale than Arncliffe. A little further up the dale is the small hamlet of Halton Gill. From Litton there are walks over the fells to the east to Buckden in Wharfedale and up Pen-y-ghent via Plover Hill to the west. From Halton Gill there is a bridle path over the Horse Head Pass to the east to Yockenthwaite in Langstrothdale. This path was used by the priest from Hubberholme to reach the small chapel in Halton Gill.

The centre of the village is an old public house, the Queens Arms, that dates back to the 17th century. Associated with the Queens Arms since 2003 is the Litton Brewery that brews Litton Ale.

GENUKI provides some information about the gentry of the area.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Litton, North Yorkshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.