|Name||Littleton upon Severn|
|Alt names||Littleton-upon-Severn||source: alternate spelling|
|Liteltone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 113|
|Littleton-on-Severn||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 113|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Langley and Swineshead Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Thornbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Aust, Gloucestershire, England||civil parish to which it was transferred in 1935|
|Northavon District, Avon, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1996|
|South Gloucestershire District, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority covering the area since 1996|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Littleton upon Severn is a village in South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England. It is near the mouth of the River Severn and is located to the west of Thornbury. From 1866 until 1935 Littleton upon Severn was a separate civil parish, but in that year its status was abolished and it became a village in the civil parish of Aust.
Littleton Brick Pits are an artificial lagoon, once the site of clay extraction for brick making.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Littleton upon Severn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LITTLETON-UPON-SEVERN, a parish in Thornbury [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Severn, 3 miles W of Thornbury, and 4¼ NNE of New Passage [railway] station. Post town: Almondsbury, under Bristol. Acres: 1,665; of which 690 are water. Real property: £1,793; of which £15 are in fisheries. Population: 195. Houses: 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to R. Lippincott, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £52. Patron: R. Lippincott, Esq. The church is early English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a Norman font."
- Bristol Archives is where paper and microfilm copies of all records for Bristol and its environs are stored.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected (except in the immediate Bristol area--for Bristol, see English Jurisdictions).
- Gloucestershire Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Gloucestershire in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Gloucestershire in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. The compiler has gone to a lot of work to provide this material. Respect his copyright.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- English Jurisdictions, a supplementary website to FamilySearch outlining local parish boundaries in the middle on the 19th century. The information provided is especially useful for establishing the locations of ecclesiastical parishes in large towns and cathedral cities, as well as changes in their dedications (names). Very useful for Bristol.
- The Church Crawler has a website of photos and histories of English Churches with emphasis on Bristol.
- Unfortunately, the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online only provides information on Gloucestershire Churches in this part of the county. More general information on the Bristol and South Gloucestershire area is sadly omitted.
- Ancestry UK has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
- Ancestry has also now updated Bristol, England, Select Church of England Parish Registers, 1720-1933 (entry dated 14 Mar 2016)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Littleton upon Severn, Gloucestershire, England | Aust, Gloucestershire, England | Langley and Swineshead Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Thornbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Northavon District, Avon, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England