Place:Littleton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameLittleton
Alt namesParva Cristentonasource: 12th century
Parva Christletonsource: to 1795
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.194°N 2.84°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBroxton (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1871
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part after 1871
Chester Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Christleton, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was part
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Littletonhas been since 2009 a civil parish south of Chester in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. It has a population of 644.

The parish has historically been a little hamlet within the manor and ancient parish of Christleton and as has such been known by the names Parva Cristentona (Little Christleton) in the 12th Century and Parva Christleton up until at least 1795. The name Littleton was used in preference to Parva Cristentona in Daniel Lyson's Magna Britannia (Volume 2) circa 1810.

The open land surrounding and within Littleton contains many former Marl Pits. The Marl from the pits was used as an agricultural fertiliser and also as a component in the process of brickmaking, which seems to have been practiced locally.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Littleton, Cheshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.