Little Thurrock is on the north bank of the River Thames, about 25 miles (40 km) east of London. It was originally a separate settlement, but housing and other developments in the 20th century have resulted in a continuous built up area with Grays Thurrock.
The southern part of Little Thurrock was formerly a tidal saltmarsh. The higher, northern area is part of a 100 feet (30 m) terrace extending for some miles east and west – a rich source of both gravel and chalk deposits which have been extracted for centuries.
The parish was part of the Orsett Rural District from 1894 until 1936 and the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998).