Place:Little Sutton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameLittle Sutton
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.283°N 2.95°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoWirral Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1933
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, Englandurban district of which it was a part 1933-1950
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, Englandtown into which it was annexed in 1950
Ellesmere Port and Neston (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality into which Ellesmere Port was merged in 1974
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority covers the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Little Sutton was a township in the ancient parish of Eastham in the Wirral hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Gorsthill and Woodhey. The civil parish (of 1156 acres and a population of 2258 in 1931) was abolished in 1950 to become part of Ellesmere Port.

It was part of Wirral Rural District from 1894 until 1933 and part of Ellesmere Port Urban District from 1933 until 1950.

Research Tips