- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Little Sampford is a village and a civil parish on the B1053 road, in the county of Essex, England. Until the 18th century the ecclesiastical Parish was known as St Mary the Virgin, Sampford Parva.
The parish was part of the Saffron Walden Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Sampford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SAMPFORD (Little), a parish in Saffron-Walden [registration] district, Essex; on the river Pant, 3½ miles E N E of Thaxted, and 6¼ S S W of Birdbrook [railway] station. Post-town, Finchingfield, under Braintree. Acres: 1,990. Real property: £3,878. Population: 477. Houses: 100. [Sampford] Hall is the seat of Sir W. Brown, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £494. Patron: New College, Oxford. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire. Charities, £13."