Place:Great and Little Leighs, Essex, England

Watchers
NameGreat and Little Leighs
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.827°N 0.506°E
Located inEssex, England     (1946 - )
See alsoChelmsford Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Chelmsford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


Great and Little Leighs is a parish in Essex, England, formed in 1946 from two neighbouring parishes:Great Leighs and Little Leighs.

Both parishes were part of the Chelmsford Rural District from 1894 until their merger, and since 1974 the combined parish has been located in the Chelmsford District or Borough.

Great Leighs

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Leighs from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LEIGHS (GREAT), a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Ter, 6¼ miles NE by N of Chelmsford [railway] station; and has a post office under Chelmsford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Chatley, and comprises 3,125 acres. Rated property: £3,353. Population: 909. Houses: 189. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £878. Patron: Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is very ancient, in tolerable condition; and has a Norman door and window, and a round tower of stone and flint. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £30."

Little Leighs

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Leighs from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LEIGHS (LITTLE), a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; on the river Ter, 5 miles SW of Braintree [railway] station, and 7 NNE of Chelmsford. Post town, Great Leighs, under Chelmsford. Acres: 1,080. Real property: £2,156. Population: 171. Houses: 33. The property is diVided among a few. A priory of Black canons was founded here in the time of Henry III., by Ralph de Geinon; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Richard Rich; was converted by him into a splendid mansion; passed to the Duke of Buckingham; belongs now to Guy's hospital; and has left extensive and interesting remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £400. Patron: the Rev. John Green. The church is a small building, with a wooden spire."

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!