Place:Little Hulton, Lancashire, England

Watchers
NameLittle Hulton
Alt namesPeelsource: Family History Library Catalog
Peel-by-Boltonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Urban district
Coordinates53.533°N 2.417°W
Located inLancashire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inGreater Manchester, England     (1974 - )
See alsoWorsley, Lancashire, Englandurban district which it joined in 1933
Salford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it became a part in 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Hulton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HULTON (LITTLE), a village and a township chapelry in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Halshaw-Moor and Farnworth [railway] station, and 3½ S of Bolton; is a considerable place, inhabited chiefly by weavers and colliers; and has a post office under Bolton. The chapelry is sometimes called Peel. Acres: 1,470. Real property, £18,005; of which £11,084 are in mines, and £86 in quarries. Population in 1851: 3,184; in 1861: 3,390. Houses, 670. Peel Hall belongs to Harrison Blair, Esq.; and Kenyon Peel Hall, to Lord Kenyon. Coal is largely worked. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, Lord Kenyon. The church is a plain building, with a bell turret. There are a school room used for worship, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school."

Little Hulton became an urban district in 1894 and was absorbed into the neighbouring Worsley Urban District in 1933. In 1974 the whole area became part of the City of Salford within Greater Manchester.

Research Tips