A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Harle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Little Harle was originally a township in the ancient parish of Kirkwhelpington. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but since 1958 has been again part of the civil parish of Kirkwhelpington.
Little Harle Tower
Little Harle Tower is a privately owned country house with 15th-century origins, at Little Harle, Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland. It is a Grade II* listed building.
The property, believed to have been built in the late 15th century as a pele tower, was first recorded in a survey of 1541.
Until 1552 it was the property of the Fenwick family, from whom it passed to the Aynsleys. During the early years of the 19th century Harle Tower was inhabited by Lord Charles Murray-Aynsley (1771-1808) and his wife Alicia, née Mitford. In about 1848 it was purchased by Thomas Anderson of Newcastle (High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1843), and his descendants remain in residence.
The house incorporates a three-storey tower of medieval origins. The central two-storey block of five bays dates from the early 18th century. Substantial additions were made in the Gothic Revival style in about 1862, but much of the 19th-century work has not survived a remodelling of the property in 1980.