Place:Little Harle, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameLittle Harle
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.155°N 2.009°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoKirkwhelpington, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Harle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARLE (LITTLE and WEST), two townships in Kirkwhelpington parish, Northumberland; on the river Wansbeck, and on the Wansbeck Valley railway, 9½ miles E of Bellingham. Acres: 701 and 661. Populations: 80 and 17. Houses: 12 and 3. Little Harle Tower, an ancient border fortalice, is now part of the seat of Thomas Anderson, Esq."

Little Harle was originally a township in the ancient parish of Kirkwhelpington. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but since 1958 has been again part of the civil parish of Kirkwhelpington.


Little Harle Tower

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Little Harle Tower is a privately owned country house with 15th-century origins, at Little Harle, Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland. It is a Grade II* listed building.

The property, believed to have been built in the late 15th century as a pele tower, was first recorded in a survey of 1541.

Until 1552 it was the property of the Fenwick family, from whom it passed to the Aynsleys. During the early years of the 19th century Harle Tower was inhabited by Lord Charles Murray-Aynsley (1771-1808) and his wife Alicia, née Mitford. In about 1848 it was purchased by Thomas Anderson of Newcastle (High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1843), and his descendants remain in residence.

The house incorporates a three-storey tower of medieval origins. The central two-storey block of five bays dates from the early 18th century. Substantial additions were made in the Gothic Revival style in about 1862, but much of the 19th-century work has not survived a remodelling of the property in 1980.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Little Harle Tower. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.