Place:Great Hampton, Worcestershire, England

Watchers
NameGreat Hampton
TypeParish, Suburb
Coordinates52.0875°N 1.9658°W
Located inWorcestershire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Worcestershire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoBlackenhurst (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Evesham, Worcestershire, Englandtown which annexed it in 1933
Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-1998
Wychavon District, Worcestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area from 1998 onward
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Hampton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAMPTON, or GREAT HAMPTON, a village and a parish in Evesham [registration] district, Worcester. The village stands near the river Avon and the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1 mile SW of Evesham [railway] station; and has a post office under Evesham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Little Hampton, which contains Evesham workhouse. Acres: 1,670. Real property: £3,663. Population: 513. Houses: 92. Much of the land is meadow. Vineyard hill, a short way north west of the village, commands a fine view. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £81. Patron: Christ Church, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century; has an embattled tower, of later date, rising from the junction of nave and chancel; and has also a fine stained glass window, in memorial of the construction of the splendid new bridge over the Avon at Evesham. A richly carved remnant of an ancient cross is in the churchyard. Charities, £150.
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Hampton was absorbed into the town of Evesham in Worcestershire, England in 1933, having formerly been a separate village.

It is linked to Evesham by the ancient Hampton Ferry. This is a pedestrian "chain ferry" linking Evesham and the district of Hampton across the River Avon. The route dates back to the 13th century, when it was established by monks. There are two other "Hampton Ferries": one on the River Thames and one on the River Severn.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hampton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.