|Alt names||Dalbi||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 161|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Leicestershire, England ( - 1936)|
|See also||Framland Hundred, Leicestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was included|
|Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1936|
|Burton and Dalby, Leicestershire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936|
|Melton District, Leicestershire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Dalby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DALBY (Little), or Dalby Parva, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 3½ miles SSE of Melton-Mowbray [railway] station. Post town: Melton-Mowbray. Acres: 1,848. Real property: £2,861. Population: 183. Houses: 35. The property is divided among a few. Dalby House is the seat of E. B. Hartopp, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Cottesmore hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £263. Patron: E. B. Hartopp, Esq. The church is modern and very good; and has monuments of the Hartopps."
Little Dalby was one of three civil parishes which joined together in 1936 to make the single parish of Burton and Dalby which exists today. It was an ancient or ecclesiastical parish as well as, after 1866, a civil parish in its own right.
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.
Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.
Categories: Leicestershire, England | Little Dalby, Leicestershire, England | Framland Hundred, Leicestershire, England | Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, England | Burton and Dalby, Leicestershire, England | Melton District, Leicestershire, England