|Alt names||Compton-Parva||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Warwickshire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Deerhurst (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Brailes Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was located until 1931|
|Shipston-on-Stour Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1931-1974|
|Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Compton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "COMPTON (Little), or Compton-Parva, a parish in the district of Chipping-Norton and county of Warwick; near the Four Shire stone, 4 miles E of Moreton [railway] station, and 4½ NW of Chipping-Norton. Post town, Barton-on-the-Heath, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres: 1,670. Real property: £2,314. Population: 398. Houses: 86. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £66. Patron: Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1864, and is in the decorated English style. Charities, £45. Bishop Juxon, the chaplain of Charles I., was a resident."
Little Compton was in Gloucestershire until 1931 when it was transferred to Warwickshire.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Little Compton from A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 5, Kington Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1949.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Deerhurst (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Warwickshire, England | Little Compton, Warwickshire, England | Brailes Rural, Warwickshire, England | Shipston-on-Stour Rural, Warwickshire, England | Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England