Place:Little Coggeshall, Essex, England

NameLittle Coggeshall
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.863°N 0.6912°E
Located inEssex, England     ( - 1949)
See alsoBraintree Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1949
Coggeshall, Essex, Englandtown which absorbed Little Coggeshall in 1949
Braintree (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Little Coggeshall was a civil parish the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1849 when it merged with Great Coggeshall to become the civil parish and town of Coggeshall. Since 1974 the area has been part of the Braintree District in Essex.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Coggeshall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"COGGESHALL (Little), a parish in Witham [registration] district, Essex; containing a small part of the town of Coggeshall. Acres: 830. Real property: £3, 597. Population: 429. Houses,: 85. The living is incorporated with Great Coggeshall. There were once two churches, the one monastic and long ago demolished, the other parochial and now partially restored."

Research Tips