Place:Little Clacton, Essex, England

NameLittle Clacton
Alt namesClachintunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 101
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.817°N 1.133°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoTendring Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Tendring (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Little Clacton is a small rural village in Essex. It is located on the Tendring Peninsula, close to Clacton-on-Sea.

The village is approximately 12 miles southeast of Colchester and 2.5 miles north of Clacton-on-Sea, and is also close to Thorpe-le-Soken where there is a railway station providing direct links to London Liverpool Street station and Clacton-on-Sea.

The parish church is dedicated to St James, and is an early twelfth century Norman church building. It has three bells in its tower, including one cast by Robert Crouch and dating from 1437.

The communities of Weeley, Thorpe-le-Soken, Frinton-on-Sea, Great Holland, Clacton-on-Sea, and Kirby-le-Soken are all close by.

The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Little Clacton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.