Place:Bourton, Oxfordshire, England

Watchers
NameBourton
Alt namesGreat Bourtonsource: settlement in parish
Little Bourtonsource: settlement in parish
Bourtonssource: post-1974 name for parish
TypeTownship, Chapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates52.1°N 1.35°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoBanbury Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Cropredy, Oxfordshire, Englandancient parish in which it was a chapelry
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bourtons is a post-1974 civil parish in the Cherwell District of Oxfordshire, England, including the settlements of Great Bourton and Little Bourton. According to the 2011 census it had a population of 614 across its total area of 6.98km². The villages are about three miles north of Banbury.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bourton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BOURTON (Great and Little), a chapelry in Cropredy parish, Oxford; 3 miles N of Banbury. Acres: 1,380. Real property: £4,055. Population: 560. Houses: 124. The living is annexed to Cropredy. The church was built in 1863. There are two dissenting chapels."

Research Tips

Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, volume 10, chapter on Great and Little Bourton.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bourtons. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.