The following is an excerpt copied from History of Braxton County and Central West Virginia by John Davison Sutton, published at Sutton, West Virginia, January 1919
The Little Birch is seven miles south of Sutton, midway between Sutton and Big Birch River post office, and situated on the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike where it crosses the Little Birch. This village was settled about 1812 or 1815 by Jesse Jackson, John Crites, Joe Barnett, Wm. Ellison, John Cutlip, Dr. A. N. Ellison, Robert Jackson and John Cutlip.
Jesse Jackson built a mill where the pike now crosses the Little Birch about 75 or 80 years ago. David M. Jackson, now in his 77th year, is running the same old mill. For many years a post office has been kept at this point, a store, etc. There is a public road leading up and down the river, crossing the pike at this point.