- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another place named Linton near Skipton which is now in North Yorkshire and known in Wikipedia as "Linton, North Yorkshire".
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Linton is an affluent village 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south west of Wetherby, West Yorkshire, England in the parish of Collingham and the City of Leeds metropolitan borough. The village is situated between Wetherby and Sicklinghall, on the River Wharfe. Collingham lies immediately to the south on the other side of the river. There is no longer any appreciable break between Linton and the western edge of Wetherby.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
From 1894 until 1937 Linton was a separate civil parish within Wetherby Rural District. In 1937 it was absorbed by its neighbouring parish of Collingham. In 1974, the area became part of the City of Leeds. Ecclesiastically, it was part of the parish of Spofforth in the Claro Wapentake.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Linton, West Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Linton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Spofforth provides a list of useful resources.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Linton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
- Ordnance Survey Southern part of the West Riding 1944 shows the southern part of the West Riding (including the southern part of Wetherby Rural District).