Place:Linton (near Ross-on-Wye), Herefordshire, England

NameLinton (near Ross-on-Wye)
Alt namesLinton
Linton (near Ross)
Coordinates51.933°N 2.483°W
Located inHerefordshire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Herefordshire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoGreytree Hundred, Herefordshire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There are two places named Linton in Herefordshire. This is the one in the southeast of the county, bordering Gloucestershire. The other is in the northeast, just to the east of the town of Bromyard and close to the border with Worcestershire. This second place is described as Linton (by Bromyard)

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Linton (near Ross-on-Wye) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LINTON, a village and a parish in the [registration] district of Newent, and county of Hereford. The village stands on the boundary line between the country of Hereford and Gloucester, 4½ mile ENE of Ross [railway] station; and has a post office under Ross.
"The parish comprises 2,775 acres. Real property: £5,081, of which £100 are in quarries. Population: 915. Houses: 211. The manor belongs to John Wright, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £555. Patron: St. John's College, Oxford. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel and a slightly endowed school."

Research Tips