|Alt names||Linshields||source: alternate spelling|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Holystone, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Alwinton, Northumberland, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Linsheeles from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LINSHEELES, or LINSHIELDS, a township in Holystone parish, Northumberland; 11 miles W by N of Rothbury. Population: 89. Houses: 12."
Linsheeles was originally a township in the ancient parish of Holystone, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866 and from 1894 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Alwinton. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Linsheeles is west of Alwinton.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Linsheeles, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Holystone, Northumberland, England | Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England | Alwinton, Northumberland, England