Linhares is the name of a municipality in the state of Espírito Santo, Brazil, 135 km north of the state capital, Vitória. It is the largest municipality by area in the state, at 9,501.6 km², and has a population of 157.814 people (2013).
The municipality is named in honor of D. Rodrigo de Souza Coutinho, Count of Linhares, who was a minister in the Brazilian government in the first two decades of the 19th century.
The area today known as Linhares was once inhabited by the Botocudo. The town, founded by Europeans on August 22, 1800 was destroyed by the Indians during a war in 1809.
Linhares became a municipality in 1945, when it was detached from the municipality of Colatina.