- source: Family History Library Catalog
Lillings Ambo is not found as an article in Wikipedia, nor are the settlements East Lilling and West Lilling that combine to make the civil parish, however it is mentioned in articles about places nearby and it can be found on Google Earth. GENUKI quotes a gazetteer from the 1820s and states it is three quarters of a mile south-southwest of Sheriff Hutton with a population at that time of 208. A Vision of Britain through Time quotes from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, and describes Lillings Ambo as "a township in Sheriff-Hutton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; near the Scarborough railway, 9½ miles NNE of York. Acres, 1,530. Real property, £1,884. Pop., 196. Houses, 42. The manor belongs to M. Ingram, Esq."
It would appear that after maintaining a population of about 200 through the 19th century, it diminished in size so that it is not worth identifying as a community today. Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Lillings Ambo would have been part of Flaxton Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Sherrif Hutton in the Bulmer Wapentake.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | Flaxton Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Bulmer Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | York, Yorkshire, England