Leven is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is located about midway between Hornsea, on the coast of the North Sea, and the inland cathedral town of Beverley. According to the 2001 UK census, Leven parish had a population of 2,240.
The civil parish of Leven was enlarged in 1895 by gaining a part of Brandesburton, a parish neighbouring it to the north, thus linking Leven with its previously detached section of Hempholme. The whole parish was part of Beverley Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Leven was the ecclesiastical parish within the Holderness Wapentake.
Leven Canal, a Site of Special Scientific Interest, links the village to the River Hull, although it is now closed. The canal was opened in 1804 having been cut by the order of Mrs Charlotte Bethel, Lady of the Manor. The 3-1/4 mile long canal started at the River Hull and was constructed to allow sailing barges to reach the warehouses at Canal Head on the southern edge of the village. Constructed in 1825, the two warehouses served two principal functions - storage of local grain ready for barge transport to Hull and Beverley and a depository for coal coming up from Hull.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.