On the territory of what is now Levallois-Perret there existed before the French Revolution the village of Villiers and the hamlet of Courcelles (or La Planchette), which gave their names to two Paris Métro stations. At the time of the creation of French communes during the French Revolution, these were part of the commune of Clichy, while the commune of Neuilly-sur-Seine extended over what is now the south-western part of Levallois-Perret.
Patrick Balkany has been mayor of the city for almost 20 years in a row ; and his wife Isabelle Balkany Smadja works for the municipality.
Landowner Jean-Jacques Perret started some housing developments in 1822 in the northeast of the commune of Neuilly-sur-Seine, in a place soon called Champerret ("champ perret" meaning "field of Perret"), which gave its name to one station of the Paris Métro. Later in 1845 Nicolas-Eugène Levallois started some housing developments for landowner André Noël on his land near La Planchette (in the commune of Clichy). The land developed by Nicolas-Eugène Levallois soon became known as the Village Levallois.
In the 1860s the Village Levallois and Champerret had grown to the point of forming a single built-up area. Several demands were made to the authorities for the incorporation of the area as a commune.
Levallois-Perret became an important centre of the early French automotive industry with the establishment of companies such as Clément-Bayard, Delage and coachbuilders Chapron and Faget & Varnet. Citroën purchased the Clément-Bayard factory and the famous Citroën 2CV was produced in Levallois for nearly forty years. Levallois-Perret was also an important centre of cosmetics industry in the early 20th century. It is also home to the large European commercial real estate company Atisreal.
Part of the healthy Ouest Parisien, Levallois-Perret is the most densely populated commune of France and Europe.