- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Lesbury is a small rural village in Northumberland in the north of England. It is built on the main coastal road 3.5 miles (5.6 km) southeast of Alnwick, on the north bank of the River Aln. Alnmouth railway station is about half a mile away. The population was 1,007 in the UK census of 2011.
In the 18th century, a schoolroom and master's house were built, paid for by Algernon Percy, 4th Duke of Northumberland. By 1897, the village had a large corn mill, as well as a reading room with 500 volumes in the library.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lesbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LESBURY, a village, a township, and a parish in Alnwick [registration] district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Alne, ½ a mile N of Bilton [railway] station, and 3½ E by S of Alnwick; and has a neat stone bridge over the Alne. The township contains also the hamlets of Bilton, Hawkhill, and Worden; the first of which has a head post office, designated Bilton, Northumberland. Acres: 2,045; of which 392 are water. Population: 750. Houses: 153.
- "The parish includes also the township of Alnmouth, which has a post office under Bilton. Acres of the parish: 2,624. Real property: £7,271; of which £18 are in fisheries. Population: 1,202. Houses: 253. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. There are a large corn-mill, a large timber-yard, and a slates-depot, from which considerable quantities of slates are shipped. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £269. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, was restored in 1846, and has a tower. There are an Established place of worship at Alnmouth, a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school.
Settlements in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.