Place:Lemmington, Northumberland, England

Alt namesBattlebridgesource: hamlet in township
Lemmington Millssource: hamlet in township
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.395°N 1.81°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoEdlingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Edlingham, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lemmington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LEMMINGTON, a hamlet and a township in Edlingham parish, Northumberland. The hamlet lies 5 miles WSW of Alnwick, and bears the name of Lemmington Mills.
"The township contains also the hamlet of Battlebridge, and comprises 2,071 acres. Population: 142. Houses: 24. The manor belonged to the Fenwicks, and passed to the Pawsons."

Lemmington was a township in the ancient parish of Edlingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into Edlingham.

Wikipedia has a description of Lemmington Hall.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.