Lelant (Cornish: Lannanta) is a village in west Cornwall, England. It is on the west side of the River Hayle estuary about 2-1⁄2 miles (4.0 km) southeast of St. Ives and one mile (1.6 km) west of Hayle.
Lelant was a seaport in the Middle Ages, but the trade was lost to St Ives when the estuary silted up. At Lower Lelant is a house called The Abbey which was built in the 16th century and renovated in the 18th.
In 1831 it was reported that much granite was quarried here, and that there were several tin mines nearby.
The family of Praed were landowners here for many centuries. The early 19th century politician and poet Winthrop Mackworth Praed was a member of the family, though he did not live in Cornwall.
Lelant was part of the West Penwith Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Lelant was formerly an ecclesiastical parish and the village is now part of St Ives civil parish (meaning that it falls within the parish area of St Ives Town Council). The birth, marriage, and death registration district is Penzance.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.