Place:Leechburg, Armstrong, Pennsylvania, United States

Watchers


NameLeechburg
TypeBorough
Coordinates40.629°N 79.604°W
Located inArmstrong, Pennsylvania, United States
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Leechburg is a borough in southern Armstrong County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, northeast of Pittsburgh. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 2,156. Leechburg was founded by David Leech, for whom it was later named, and was incorporated as a borough in 1850.

Located along the Kiskiminetas River, Leechburg was a major port of the Pennsylvania Canal. Early in the 20th century, it was the site of extensive steel sheet works, foundries, cement plants, and productive coal mines. Leechburg was the first place where natural gas was used for industrial purposes.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Leechburg was founded in 1850 by David Leech. Prior to 1850, the settlement was known as White Plains. David Leech purchased the land from a local Native American known as White Maddock.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Leechburg, Pennsylvania. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.