Place:Lee Chapel, Essex, England

NameLee Chapel
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates51.5667°N 0.4333°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBillericay Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1937
Billericay, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1937-1955
Basildon, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1955-1974
Basildon (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lee Chapel from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LEE-CHAPEL, an extra-parochial tract in Billericay district, Essex; 4¼ miles S of Billericay. Acres: 484. Population: 6. House: 1. A chapel which gave name to it was anciently a chantry, and has been destroyed."

Until 1936 Lee Chapel (#12 on the map) was an extremely small area within Billericay Rural District. In that year Fobbing and Langdon Hills parishes (#12a and #12b on the map) in Orsett Rural District were abolished and parts of each were absorbed into Lee Chapel. It thus gained 1478 acres and was made a civil parish. The following year Lee Chapel was abolished and the area was absorbed into Billericay Urban District. In 1955 the name of Billericay Urban District was changed to Basildon Urban District and in 1974 the area was merged into the Basildon District or Borough. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time