Place:Ledsham, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameLedsham
Alt namesLedeshamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 317
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.751°N 1.305°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inWest Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoTadcaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Leeds (metropolitan borough), West Yorkshire, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Ledsham is a village and civil parish north of Castleford and east of Leeds in the county of West Yorkshire, England. The village is in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough and near to the A1 Great North Road. It has a population of 162.

There is a late seventh-century Anglo-Saxon church (the oldest church and the oldest building standing in West Yorkshire), and nearby Ledston Hall. The village school, like schools in Collingham and Thorp Arch is named after Lady Elizabeth Hastings.

Ledsham is first mentioned around 1030 in the form Ledesham. Like nearby Ledston, the name seems to refer to Leeds (or the Old English precursor of this name, Loidis, which denoted a region rather than a town), meaning the hām ('homestead, farm') belonging to Leeds.

Ledsham have a cricket team, who currently play in the Wetherby League.

Prior to 1974 Ledsham was located in Tadcaster Rural District.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ledsham, West Yorkshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.