|Alt names||Lachinfeld||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 307|
|Lachinfelt||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 307|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|Humberside, England (1974 - 1996)|
|East Riding of Yorkshire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Beverley Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which Leconfield was a part 1935-1974|
|Leconfield and Arram, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||parish (1894-1935) which made up part of Leconfield|
|Scorborough, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||parish (1894-1935) which made up part of Leconfield|
|Harthill Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake or hundred in which Leconfield was located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is condensed from an article in Wikipedia
Leconfield is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) north west of Beverley town centre and lies on the A614 road.
The civil parish is formed by the villages of Leconfield and Arram and the hamlet of Scorborough. According to the 2001 UK census, Leconfield parish had a population of 1,990.
Leconfield is home to RAF Leconfield, now used as an airfield for Sea King helicopters of the 202 Squadron and the 'Army School of Mechanical Transport' (now Defence School of Transport).
Leconfield Castle was the home of the Percy family, Dukes of Northumberland. There are extensive Tudor brick remains on the visible mound and the 'moat' also remains.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Leconfield was not formed as a civil parish until 1935, but it had been an ecclesiastical parish in the 19th century and before, as was Scorborough. Leconfield and Arram and Scorborough were previously civil parishes. The area was part of the Harthill Wapentake, the Beverley Registration District (1837-1930) and the Beverley Rural District Council from 1894 until its abolition in 1974.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
- GENUKI provides a short description of Leconfield parish from a gazetteer of 1822 and a longer description of the Percy family from an unnamed source from the 19th century. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Beswick.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Leconfield provides a list of useful resources for the local area, as does the FamilySearch wiki on Scorborough.