- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Leckhampton has been, since 1991, part of Cheltenham District or Borough in Gloucestershire, England, located in the southern part of the District. The area constitutes a civil parish. Prior to 1974 Leckhampton was located in Cheltenham Rural District. Between 1974 and 1991 it was in Tewkesbury (district), and in 1991 it was transferred to Cheltenham Borough.
The old village of Leckhampton stands at the foot of Leckhampton Hill, around the medieval parish church of St. Peter's. During the 19th and 20th centuries, there was residential development in the direction of Cheltenham. Quarrying was done on Leckhampton Hill at the end of the 19th century.
Leckhampton Court is a mediaeval manor house dating from about 1320, built by the Giffard family of Brimpsfield. In the south of Leckhampton lies the small residential area of Pilley (re-directed here).
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Leckhampton, Gloucestershire, England