|Alt names||Ledelai||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 317|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Claro Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Wharfedale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Leathley was originally an ancient parish in Claro Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Leathley and its township of Castley became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Wharfedale Rural District of the North Riding.
Since 1974 Leathley has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Harrogate District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Leathley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LEATHLEY, a village, a township, and a parish in Otley [registration] district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wharfe, 3 miles NW of Arthington [railway] station, and 3 NE of Otley; and is a picturesque place.
- "The township comprises 1,568 acres. Real property: £3,489. Population: 199. Houses: 44.—The parish contains also the township of Castley; and its post town is Otley. Acres: 2,095. Real property: £4,416. Population: 272. Houses: 63. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to F. H. Fawkes, Esq. Leathley Hall is the seat of the Rev. A. Fawkes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value: £302. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is very ancient, of various dates; comprises nave, three aisles, and transept, with a Norman tower; and contains several mural monuments. There are a Methodist chapel, an endowed school, a national school, and an hospital."
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Leathley, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Claro Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wharfedale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England