Place:Lea-by-Backford, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameLea-by-Backford
Alt namesLea
Lea (near Chester)
TypeTownship, Hamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates53.234°N 2.911°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoWirral (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1871
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part after 1871
Chester Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Backford, Cheshire, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1936
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Lea-by-Backford is now a hamlet and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is situated between Chester and Ellesmere Port, west of the A41 trunk road and to the north of the Shropshire Union Canal. It had a population of 191 according to the UK census of 2001.

Prior to becoming a civil parish in 1866 it was a township in the ancient parish of Backford. From 1894 until 1936 it was part of Chester Rural District. In 1936 it was absorbed back into Backford with three other small neighbouring civil parishes.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lea-by-Backford. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.