Place:Laverton, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameLaverton
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.277°N 2.32°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoFrome Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Frome Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1933
Lullington, Somerset, Englandcivil parish into which Laverton was absorbed in 1933
Mendip District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


Since 1933 Laverton has been a hamlet in the parish of Lullington in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. Its Church of St. Mary dates from the 11th century.

The parish was part of the hundred of Frome and the Frome Rural District (1894-1933).

Contents

Historic Descriptions

1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood

A parish in the hundred of Frome, 4½ miles N. from Frome ; containing 36 inhabited houses, and 38 families, 25 of whom are employed in agriculture. A small rivulet runs through the village, and falls into the river Frome, which passes through the adjoining parish. The church is a small structure, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, with a tower containing three bells. The living is rectorial, in the deanery of Frome; Rev. George Rogers, incumbent; instituted 1817; patron, the Bishop of the diocese. Population, 1801, 134 — 1811, 133 — 1821, 189.

1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly

LAVERTON is a parish and village, 120 miles from London, 4½ north from Frome railway station, and 8½ south from Bath, in the Eastern division of the county, Frome hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, Wells arctideaconery, diocese of Bath and Wells, 1 mile from the turnpike road from Frome to Bath. The church of St. Mary (although supposed to have been originally dedicated to St. Bartholomew) is a small stone building without tower, in the style of the thirteenth century, having a chancel, nave, and vestry with porch: the chancel window is in three lights, representing in the centre The Crucifixion, on the left St. Mary, and St. John on the right. The register dates from about the middle of the sixteenth century. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value about £300, with residence and 74 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, and held by the Rev. Alexander Benn Russell, B.C.L., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. 1 here is a National school for hoys and girls, supported by the rector. The manor and land belong to the Duchy of Cornwall. The soil is light and sandy, and the subsoil is clayey. The chief crops are pasture for dairy purposes. The area is 1,034 acres; rateable value, £1,758; in 1871 the population was 143.

1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade

Laverton, a small village 4½ m. N. from Frome. The church is a small 13th cent. building, with a saddleback tower.

Research Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address: archives@somerset.gov.uk.
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s

Online Transcriptions

Other Resources