- source: Family History Library Catalog
Latton was a civil parish in Epping Rural District of Essex, England until 1949 when it was divided between the parishes of Harlow New Town and North Weald Bassett with two-thirds of its area going to Harlow.
Since 1974 the area has been located in the Epping Forest District of Essex.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Latton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LATTON, a parish, with a village, in Epping district, Essex; on the river Stort and the Eastern Counties railway, at the boundary with Herts, 1 mile E by S of Burnt-Mill [railway] station, and 1½ SW of Harlow. Post-town: Harlow. Acres: 1,605. Real property: £3,078. Population: 196. Houses: 45. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded here before 1276; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Henry Parker; and has left some remains, in decorated English architecture, now used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £480. Patron: L. Arkwright, Esq. The church is good, has a tower, and contains three old brasses."
Categories: Essex, England | Latton, Essex, England | Epping Rural, Essex, England | Harlow, Essex, England | North Weald Bassett, Essex, England | Epping Forest (district), Essex, England
Help fund new features!