Latrobe is a town in northern Tasmania, Australia on the Mersey River. It is 8 km south-east of Devonport on the Bass Highway. It is the main centre of the Latrobe Council. At the 2006 census, Latrobe had a population of 2,843.
The area was first settled by B. B. Thomas in 1826 and, in 1861, the settlement was named for Charles Joseph Latrobe (1801-1875), the administrator of the colony of Tasmania.
La Trobe Post Office opened on 31 August 1860 and was renamed Latrobe in 1873.
The Mersey Community Hospital is located in Latrobe. It is approximately a 100-bed hospital that provides services including: ambulatory and emergency, general adult medicine, general paediatric medicine, general surgery including orthopaedic, ear, nose and throat, ophthalmological, certain oncology services, limited rehabilitation services and allied health support. From 1 September 2008, the Hospital is owned by the Commonwealth and operated by the Tasmanian Government.