- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lassington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LASSINGTON, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; on an affluent of the river Leadon, and on the Hereford and Gloucester canal, 2 miles NW of Gloucester [railway] station. Post-town: Gloucester. Acres: 535. Real property: £835. Population: 73. Houses: 12. Most of the property belongs to Sir J. W. Guise, Bart. A very large oak is here, known as the Lassington Oak. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £120. Patrons: Sir J. W. Guise, Bart., and the Bishop of Gloucester. The church is good."
In 1935 the small parish of Lassington was abolished and the area merged with the neighbouring parish of Highnam Over and Linton to form a new parish named, simply, Highnam. The area covered by the two parishes was all in the Gloucester Rural District and to the northwest of the City of Gloucester.
Gloucester Registration District (1837 - 1935)
For information on the area following the merger, see Highnam.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Lassington, Gloucestershire, England | Highnam, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (district), Gloucestershire, England