|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Escrick Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Derwent Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Selby District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district of which it was a part 1974-1996|
|York, Yorkshire, England||unitary authority in which it has been located since 1996|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Langwith from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LANGWITH, a township in Wheldrake parish, [East Riding of] Yorkshire; between the rivers Ouse and Derwent, 4 miles SE by E of York. Acres: 781. Population: 47. Houses: 6."
From 1894 until 1935, Langwith was located in Escrick Rural District. In 1935 the Escrick Rural District was abolished and its place was taken by Derwent Rural District which administered the local area until the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974. From 1974 until 1996, Langwith was in the Selby District of North Yorkshire. In 1996 the City of York, a unitary authority, expanded its borders to include Langwith.
Historically, Langwith was in the ecclesiastical parish of Wheldrake in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent.
- GENUKI on Langwith. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Wheldrake provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Langwith.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.