Place:Langley Priory, Leicestershire, England

NameLangley Priory
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.808°N 1.358°W
Located inLeicestershire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoWest Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
Isley cum Langley, Leicestershire, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1936
Castle Donington Rural, Leicestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
North West Leicestershire District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Langley Priory was originally a Benedictine nunnery in Leicestershire, England. It is located around a mile and a half south of East Midlands Airport; around a mile from the village of Diseworth.

It was probably dissolved with the other small monasteries in 1536. The remains of the priory were thought to have been incorporated into a later house which was also called "Langley Priory". Until 1858 it was considered an extra parochial area. In 1858 it was declared a civil parish and in 1894 became part of Castle Donington Rural District. In 1936 it was merged with a small neighbouring parish named Isley-Walton to become the parish of Isley cum Langley. In 1974 the new parish became part of the North West Leicestershire District.

Research Tips