- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Heanor is a town and an administrative or civil parish now comprising the settlements of Heanor and Loscoe in the Amber Valley District of Derbyshire, northeast of the city of Derby. According to the census of 2011 the population of the civil parish was 22,620.
In 1984 three modern civil parishes were created from the previously unparished urban district:
- Aldercar and Langley Mill (including Whatstandwell). In 2011 the parish had a population of 5,405 compared with 4,863 ten years before.
- Codnor. In 2011 the parish had a population of 3,766 compared with 3,836 ten years before.
- Heanor and Loscoe. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 17,251 compared with 16,040 ten years before.
Heanor before 1974
The parish of Heanor formed a local board in about 1850 to provide services in the town. In 1895, under the Local Government Act 1894 the board's area became an urban district. In 1899 Heanor Urban District was enlarged with the addition of part of the neighbouring parish of Codnor with Loscoe. The urban district continued in existence until 1974, when it was merged into the new non-metropolitan district of Amber Valley under the Local Government Act 1972.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Heanor from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEANOR, a village, a township, and a parish in the [registration] district of Basford and county of Derby. The village stands near the Erewash river, canal, and railway, and the boundary with Notts, 1 mile WSW of Langley mills [railway] station, and 6 E by S of Belper; is lighted with gas, and governed by a board of health; was formerly a market town; and has now a post office under Derby, and fairs on Old Martinmas day and 23 Nov.
- "The township comprises 1,535 acres. Real property: £8,264; of which £303 are in mines. Population in 1851: 3, 427; in 1861: 4,084. Houses: 846. The increase of population arose from the operations of a building society, and from the extension of coal mining and iron manufacture.
- "The parish contains also the township of Shipley, and the hamlets of Codnor and Loscoe. Acres: 6,870. Real property: £24,157, of which £6,826 are in mines. Population in 1851: subdivided.
- "Heanor Hall is the seat of John Ray, Esq. Hosiery and silk blonde lace are extensively manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value: £169. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; belonged once to Dale abbey; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a square tower; contains several monuments to the Mundy family, and one to the native sculptor, Samuel Watson; and was recently in rather bad condition. A new cemetery, with two conjoint chapels, surmounted by tower and spire, was opened in 1858. The vicarage of Codnor is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £10.
- British History Online (Victoria County Histories) does not appear to cover Derbyshire geographically. A History of the County of Derby: Volume 2, edited by William Page is a part-volume covering the religious houses of the county. No further volumes have been found.
- GENUKI main page for Derbyshire which provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Derbyshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- These two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.